My Basic Packing List
These items are what I tend to take on every trip that I go on: Land, Air or Sea, don’t forget these items.
“Sleepsack”: if you are taking a red-eye, or international flight I always bring what I call my sleep sack.
- Ear Plugs
- Benedryl, Melatonin, or other sleep aid
- Wet Wipes/Baby Wipes
This is usually the first thing that I want when I get on the plane or arrive at the hotel. Life becomes so much easier when you are jet lagged, irritable, and just want to lay down more than anything else in the world.
Main Packing List for every Trip
- Empty Water bottle (fill at airport after security)
- Extra pair of earplugs
- take # of days you will be on the trip, divide by 2, then choose outfits that can be interchangeable or just add a scarf/hat/necklace to change your look this will save you loads of room. PACK ONLY WHAT YOU KNOW YOU USE ON A DAILY BASIS, AND CANNOT REPLACE AT YOUR DESTINATION IF NEEDED.
- Lazy Jane Tshirt (to lounge in)
- 1 weather appropriate dress that you can dress up or down depending on the occasion
- Thin sweater – I prefer fleece as it doesn’t take up much room
- Scarf – to match shirts
- leggings/jeggings – take up less space and lighter (#everyouncecounts)
- shoes (1 quick slip on/off pair, and 1 sturdy pair — wear sturdy pair onto the plane)
- Laundry Detergent – especially if longer than 7 days
- Benedryl itch cream
- Pepto Bismol
- Personal Medications
- personal hygiene supplies
- hair conditioner oil/spray
- sunblock/aloe – if location appropriate
- DEET – I use Jungle Juice from REI – if location appropriate
- Body Glide
- Personal Security & Financial
- Photo ID
- Credit Card/Debit Card – make sure to call your bank and notify them of your travels
- Cash at least $100 in your purse in the local currency
- Maps in electronic or paper copy
- Itinerary and addresses to accommodations
- Leave your itinerary with someone – so they know exactly where you will be if they need to come looking
- Electronics/Camera Equipment
- See my Camera Equipment for a list of what I use while traveling
- Computer or Ipad
- Camera and phone charger
What would you add to this list?
For my favorite products I use when I travel check out: My Favorite Travel Products
Other Packing Lists worth noting: