Basic Packing List
Everyone has their different routine and daily requirements, but after 25 years of travel I feel like I have the perfect packing list for Solo Female Travelers, but I think the gentlemen out there could utilize this as well. This packing list is designed for traipsing around cities, and doesn't matter if you are in your own country vs traveling in another country - it works well with either one.
It is NOT designed to be a packing list for camping. So if you want to look at those lists, I have put them below.
Main Packing List for every Trip
For clothing I typically take # of days you will be on the trip, divide by 2, then choose outfits that can be interchangeable or just add a scarf/hat/necklace to change your look this will save you loads of room. PACK ONLY WHAT YOU KNOW YOU USE ON A DAILY BASIS, AND CANNOT REPLACE AT YOUR DESTINATION IF NEEDED.
- Ear Plugs
- Empty waterbottle to fill up after airport security
- Benedryl, Melatonin, or other sleep aid
- Wet Wipes/Baby Wipes
- Lazy Jane Tshirt (to lounge in)
- 1 weather appropriate dress that you can dress up or down depending on the occasion
- Thin sweater - I prefer fleece as it doesn't take up much room
- Scarf - to match shirts
- leggings/jeggings - take up less space and lighter (#everyouncecounts)
- shoes (1 quick slip on/off pair, and 1 sturdy pair -- wear sturdy pair onto the plane)
- Laundry Detergent - especially if longer than 7 days
- Benedryl itch cream
- Pepto Bismol
- Personal Medications
- Personal hygiene supplies
- Hair conditioner oil/spray
- Sunblock/Aloe - if location appropriate
- DEET - I use Jungle Juice from REI - if location appropriate
- Body Glide
Personal Security & Financial
- Photo ID
- Credit Card/Debit Card - make sure to call your bank and notify them of your travels
- Cash at least $100 in your purse in the local currency
- Maps in electronic or paper copy
- Itinerary and addresses to accommodations
- Leave your itinerary with someone - so they know exactly where you will be if they need to come looking
- See my Camera Equipment for a list of what I use while traveling
- Computer or Ipad
- Camera and phone charger
Welcome to Culture Trekking!
My name is Janiel, a medical professional, and solo adventurer. I have over 23 years of international travel experience and have a sincere passion for celebrating humanity, connecting with cultures, finding unique art and adventure. I’m an advocate for animals and sustainable travel and want to invite you to join the Culture Trekking community.